Letting go...

Well this is going to sound contextually silly but I've come to the end of two pretty extensive journeys today. I watched the series finale of Sons of Anarchy this morning. It ended pretty much as expected, but there's nothing wrong with that. A story doesn't need a surprise twist to be good. Getting to watch a character come to terms with their actions, let go of the wheel and realize that was all they had to do all along is as poignant an ending to a fictional work as it is to a real life. I'm not saying we should give up or relinquish the reigns of our life's work. But if you come to a place where the only way to save yourself is not to...then letting go is the best way to go. Which leads to the second ending. I finally finished Locke&Key by Joe Hill. I started reading these volumes years ago and when the last one came out I put off buying it. I didn't want it to end really. I broke down and bought it back in February for my birthday...and couldn't bring myself to open it for months. With comics of this nature, the book falling open on the wrong page could give it all away and ruin the whole damn thing. I decided I had to start from the beginning again. I did. It had been awhile so it startled me in all the same parts. I laughed, I cried, I got the tingles of empathy and connection and discovery all over again. And today I finished it. Here's a couple of my favorite parts:

Lucas Carravagio talking about where the dead go says:

"There's a sound over there. It's a golden sound. That's the only way to describe it. It's a bright sound and it has little flecks of music in it, drifting like motes of dust. And you just know if you let that sound get inside you, if you hummed along with it, you'd rest like a cat in the sun. A perfect rest, You could rest a billion years. The thing that was in me was afraid of the sound. I'd never seen it afraid before. It forced me to stay silent. It made us stay in colorless silence until we were called back to life."

Rendall Locke says;

"Death isn't the end of your life, you know. Your body is a lock. Death is the key. The key turns...and you're free. To be anywhere. Everywhere. Two places at once. Nowhere. Part of the background hum of the universe...."





Comments

Popular Posts